Announcement

Hi! This is my old blog that is no longer updated. Please visit my new website www.fourthfloorhomestead.com for new content and most of the content from this blog as well.

This old blog will be left up so as not to mess up people who have linked to recipes through Pinterest, Favorites etc.

Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Roasting Red Pepper in the Oven

I must admit, I am a jarred roasted red pepper gal. Though way too expensive, it is just easier to buy roasted red peppers by the jar than to roast them myself. But then yesterday I finally had no choice. We had company coming over, I was serving a polenta dish with red pepper coulis. The polenta was made when my hubby came back from the grocery store with four plump red peppers instead of the two jars I requested. The store had run out. My poor husband had to make a call, get the pickled red peppers or get some fresh ones. He made the right choice, the pickled would have been useless.

So I was forced to roast the peppers myself. It was a bit of work but it was much cheaper, made a larger quantity and tasted great in the recipe. All I did was turn the oven to broil, put the clean whole peppers in a large casserole dish and broiled the peppers until the skin bubbled. I turned the peppers a few times to expose all of the skin. Once all the skin was bubbly I took the dish out of the oven, put on the lid and left the peppers to steam for 15 minutes before peeling off the skin. It was a bit of work but not overly difficult. Given the price of the jarred red peppers I suspect I will be roasting them myself going forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment